Monday 19 July 2010

house hunting and the weekend


View from Offa's Dyke Path near Bodfari. Photo by the husband.

We spent a windswept and squally two days in Wales, looking for a house to rent. Happily I can report that we have found somewhere! It is a little converted stable in the grounds of an old rectory. The last occupier was an old lady who taught piano until the age of 93, and the piano is still in there. I think we will ask to keep it and try to find some piano duets to play! There is also a stair-lift, which we will ask to be removed :-) Fingers crossed that we can secure the tenancy, as the rent is cheap but the area is stunning. There is a footpath just opposite that leads up into the Clwydian Range, from which there are gorgeous views of the Vale of Clwyd and places as far away as Snowdonia.


Bwlch Pen Barras.


Bwlch Pen Barras.

I hope you had a good weekend. I got to see my family and make fun things to eat, like black sesame daifuku-style mochi, ice-cream mochi (hilarious and messy fun). I helped my dad make wontons for lunch, which was just the kind of thing I was hankering for last week. His filling is so much better than mine and I can't work it out, even though I use the same ingredients. Like him, though, I am a cook who feels her way around the composition of a dish rather than following a recipe, so I suppose I am just getting my proportions a bit wrong!

2 comments:

  1. How did this turn out, Karen? It sounds totally wonderful, so - if you haven't heard yet - I'll have my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn, I'm so pleased to hear from you :-) We are still at the finger-crossing stage here. I have made my application for the tenancy and we will hopefully complete our house sale soon, so it's looking OK at the moment. I'm a bit nervous, but I think it will be fine! x

    ReplyDelete