Thursday 10 June 2010

The Sketchbook Project 2011


The Sketchbook Project, organised by the folks at Art House Co-op in Brooklyn, has been running for a couple of years now and the sign-up for the 2011 project was launched in May. The premise is that they send you a bar-coded Moleskine cahier and a theme, and you create a sketchbook based on that idea, then send it back to them. All the sketchbooks are taken on a library style tour across the US, then find themselves a home at the Brooklyn Art Library where they are catalogued and available for the public to view. Themes that you can choose include: 'dirigibles and submersibles', '(your name here)', 'I'm sorry I forgot you' and 'it will be fun, I swear'.

Sounds like fun, no? You can enter for $25 until October 31st this year, with sketchbooks to be returned to them by January 15th 2011. I might join in the fun. What do you think?

On the other hand, I could just choose a theme and fill a Moleskine cahier based on that and then NOT send it anywhere, but that would be defeating the object of the project, wouldn't it? The whole point is sharing your ideas and kind of 'releasing' them out there so they aren't just stuck on your own bookshelf where nobody gets to see them. I think it's a sweet idea.

2 comments:

  1. You should TOTALLY join in on that project Karen, your sketches are awesome! By the way, did you see that sfgirlbybay featured one of your pin it forward boards on her blog today?? i was soo happy for you when i saw that! =)

    http://www.sfgirlbybay.com/2010/06/10/pinning-it-forward/

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D EEp! I didn't see that - thanks for letting me know :-)

    I really think I will do the Sketchbook Project - should be fun.x

    ReplyDelete