Tuesday 9 February 2010

dreaming of Wales


We are on the cusp of something new. My tiny London flat is about to be put on the market for sale and we will have to invest in something else. For a few months now, we have been trying to engineer a move to Wales. Whilst I can work pretty much anywhere as long as there is an internet connection, the husband's options are more limited; so whilst we plan and plot, I continue to look at houses that I can't afford and stuff I would put into my eclectic home if I had the space. If we put everything we've got into one pot and could secure a similar mortgage, we could, by the skin of our teeth, have something like these houses (can you tell I like white farmhouses?) - with a few acres and outbuildings, no immediate neighbours and some of the most beautiful views in the country. OK. Probably something a bit smaller. Damn.


Images from The Smallholding Centre and Rural Scene.


Clockwise from top left: teacup cosies, vintage alarm clock, 1960s espresso cups, all from H is for Home. Rabbit lamp from Caravan, mid-century rosewood desk from Vintage Retro.

6 comments:

  1. Those are my Dream Houses (and in Wales, too, though I have an enormous soft spot for North Norfolk) and that is my dream desk. And my dream lamp. :-)
    We've been in our house for three years now, and maybe this year we'll finally have the non-cosmetic stuff done so that I can start decorating. In the meantime, I opened a tumblelog where I copy and paste everything that catches me eye on the web - mostly MCM, much to my hubby's chagrin. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desks at Vintage Retro are lovely, but expensive. I have a mid-century teak desk already but it's not nearly as beautiful as I'd like :-)

    You are right. North Norfolk is beautiful too. We live in North Essex so it's not too far from us and we've been on little trips there a few times. It is like a forgotten corner of England and so unspoilt. We have been in our house for two years almost to the day and I'm already bored of it! That's terrible. It is a small cottage though, so we've done everything we can to it. I need a new project :-)

    Have you got a link to your Tumblelog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do. I actually set it up just for me, but you can't actually keep it totally private and suddenly people were "following" me, which took me rather aback. I use it as a scrapbook, some "non-house" stuff ends up there too. I need to backtrack and add all the sources soon though...
    http://dorpsstraat151.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How annoying that you can't keep it private. Thanks for the link, but I'll stay away from it if you prefer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! It's not a personal kind of thing - just pictures of rooms and furniture and now and then a dress or a piece of art....I don't mind at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn, I just took a look at your Tumblelog - it's really scary how many of those images I've seen and loved as well. That one with the doily edged circular rug that everyone else has blogged too is great. Love it!

    ReplyDelete