Wednesday 24 February 2010

Swallows and Amazons

When I was a child I was an avid fan of the Swallows and Amazons books by Arthur Ransome. I wanted to run wild around the countryside making maps, sleeping in tents, eating tinned beef and calling it pemmican, prancing around in my swimwear whilst daubed in mud; I wanted to swim in lakes, sail boats, and plan expeditions all whilst hanging around in shorts and thick fisherman's jumpers and leather brogues with socks. It all sounded like such fun, a fantasy with few adults but lots of fire and knives. OK, that didn't come out quite right, but you know what I mean.

These days I'm a bit more self-conscious in swimwear, but all of the other things I would still definitely do. And what would I wear? Well, I was pratting about on Polyvore yesterday and came up with this slightly monochromatic and unintentionally expensive selection.

Swallows and Amazons

Alcina Sweater, $395
Shirred Boyfriend Shirt, $275
Corsham Duffle, 180 GBP
Old Navy Womens Perfect Khaki Shorts (3), $20
Brown Leather Brogue Shoe, 40 GBP


The anchor brooch is actually a monstrous 15cm thing from Topshop US, the beige cashmere socks (I know this is all a bit expensive!) are sold out, and the bag is a military surplus bag from Hungary. The belt is £40 from All Saints - happily I have an almost identical one from years ago that I bought for £5 in a Topshop sale :-) Maybe a proper raincoat and an old fashioned sou'wester would also be essential in our rainy summers. I would add a red beret or woolly hat - indeed I already own one(!) - but I think that would probably take things a bit too far.

Tomorrow I will find some good things for a vintage, Swallows and Amazons style camping trip. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment